Stuffed pav/ hot cross buns


Baking with yeast or sourdough starter (mine is named Lucy) is a bandwagon I jumped on during the lockdown like many others. needless to say, I now enjoy it immensely 

The Guardian report on the rise of sourdough is quite interesting to say the least. I started Lucy when the commercial bakers yeast was not available in the market and Anita from the mad tea party uploaded hers.  She also regularly conducts one of a kind classes for same.I have linked the sourdough starter process. 

Bread making is weirdly relaxing exercise for me. I usually bake in the middle of the night after leaving the dough to proof throughout the day. The pav which I made over Saturday night was a quick one wherein I let the dough sit for an hour only.The hot summers did the rest of work quickly. I didn't hack the process in  any way. they were simple all purpose flour rolls stuffed with potato mash.

Ingredients-
200gms All purpose flour
100gms curd
50gms ghee
1 teaspoon Nigella seeds 
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon sugar for the yeast to behave
2 teaspoons dry instant yeast
 or 
1 cup sourdough starter (50gms)

stuffing-
4 potatoes- boiled
2 onions thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
2/3 curry leaves for flavour
rai daana for tempering


baking time- 
40 minutes- 20 minutes pre heat at 220 degree and 20 minutes for baking

process-
Knead the dough into a ball by mixing the ingredients. use the stretch and fold method. once done leave it for an hour in this summer. I have also invested in this amazing sillicon rolling mat which really helps while rolling the dough and stretching the same.
Important part for me in this whole process is when to add the salt. I usually do it after second time kneading. this is after my starter has fully done with its magic. once the dough is set. roll out small portions and stuff the same with anything you prefer.

for stuffing I went with potatoes mashed with  onions with some tadka of curry leaves and rai.
I carmalized the onions and mashed the same with potatoes hence the color. for my daughters portion I stuck a cube of frozen butter for more taste.

once the rolls are ready set them in lightly greased pan while you pre heat the oven. I lightly brush them with milk which gives a lovely glow to the crust.
after 20 minutes pre heat, pop the tin in the oven and another 20 minutes till those gorgeous buns come out.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts